Call for Teaching Artists Application!
Before applying, please read below:
Tia Chucha’s Centro Cultural and Bookstore is a nonprofit organization that aims to transform the community of the San Fernando Valley through the arts, ancestral knowledge, literacy, and creative engagement. Located in the city of Sylmar, Tia Chucha’s continues to partner with local artists to provide the surrounding community with cultural workshops ranging from music, visual arts, culinary arts, ancestral and indigenous practices, and more.
Tia Chucha’s does not limit classes and workshops to specific mediums or instruments and is looking to add more teaching artists and teaching assistants to their team.
THIS IS NOT A JOB LISTING:
Our intent is to add potential teaching artists and assistants to our database. Will use these applications to consider artists and assistants for future classes and events.
Examples of classes, workshops, and projects Tia Chucha's has done in the past:
- Mexica/Ancestral Knowledge Classes, Aztec Dance, Cosmology
- Visual Arts- Mural Painting, Screen Printing, Mixed Media Art, Painting, Jewelry Making
- Performing Arts - Theatre, Ballet Folklorico
- Music - Voice, Guitar, Son Jarocho, Music Appreciation
- Creative Writing, Poetry, Women's Writing Circles
- Youth Mentorship, Youth Leadership
- Children’s Literature: Storytimes, Activities
- Cultural arts and mentoring including but not limited to Visual, Creative Writing, and Music offered to youth and adults who have experienced, or currently experiencing incarceration.
Qualifying Individuals must
- Submit a one page resume
- Submit a one page cover letter
- Include a portfolio of your work (if applicable)
- Provide your social media and/or website information (optional)
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Preferably reside in the San Fernando Valley or Los Angeles Area
- Be adaptable to change
- Be knowledgeable on working through virtual platforms (i.e. zoom)
- Experience in an arts field is preferred. We welcome artists across all disciplines.
- Experience teaching youth and adults is preferred.
- Demonstrate arts-related activities that can be done at home.
- Be engaging, fun, and encouraging of participants creativity!
Learn more about our programs:
Seasonal Cultural Arts Programming: Tia Chucha’s seasonal programming provides cultural art classes for youth and adults in the North East San Fernando Valley. These classes are held to promote mental health by allowing participants to be creative and learn to self care with visual arts, music, dance, culinary arts and more. These classes vary from season to season and are typically held once or twice a week for 1-2 hours, on an average of t 8-10 weeks. We also have cultural arts and literacy workshops occur on a one-time basis, such as during our Dia De Los Muertos and Winterlandia events.
From Trauma to Transformation (T2T): Tia Chucha’s T2T program is about providing a space to honor the mostly underappreciated initiatory fire of highly marginalized, and largely de-humanized people behind bars with their true stories of struggle toward redemption, from troubles to triumphs. With this intention in mind, we provide art programs for currently and formerly incarcerated adults and youth in multiple settings, as well as community programs.
Lil’ Readers: The Lil’ Readers program is a multicultural and bilingual storytelling program for children ages 0-5 and their families in the Northeast San Fernando Valley. The Lil’ Readers program started as a virtual program to meet the needs of parents with young children, looking for support during the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic. It is now an in-person program, led by a bilingual storyteller, featuring creative engagement activities and discussions with participating children and their families. Our goal is to increase literacy engagement in families with children ages 0-5 years old and provide a safe space for them to explore their identities and stories.
If you have any further questions please contact [email protected]